Wednesday, April 27, 2011

I was chatting with a friend recently until my Glossy White Dell Inspiron 1420 laptop made some weird crackling noises (twice!).
So, I decided to heed the friend advice to clean my laptop's fan.
Since I couldn't won't send it to the repair shop, I decided to handle it on my own.





The 3 screws (marked with star) are the ones we need to remove to get to the heatsink.
Turn the screwdriver anti-clockwise (rotate to the left side) to open. 
The L-shaped cover will pop up for you.
*and remember to place your screws in a safe place coz you need to put it back later^^




After you have removed the cover, things should look like this (I hope your's too).
Now we need loosen the 4 screws (marked with red arrows).
You can move on once you feel the screw pop upwards from it's spring.




And the moment of glory~ta daa!
You can pull out the heatsink from the compartment and say 'Hello' to the dusts.
Now you can do whatever you think that is appropriate.
(I skin all the dusts and dump 'em rightaway.)





Clean the rest of the compartment -maybe the fan area (marked with white arrow).
Then, put everything back and tighten the screws properly (turning clockwise to lock).

For more info, you can also refer the Dell Support site below:

This is the most common area where dusts accumulate.
I didn't clean mine for 3years and it was as thick as the carpet.
Start up your PC and it should have alot better ventilation space now.

You should seriously clean it up if your Dell Inspiron overheats easily or shuts down on its own.

8 comments:

cnxc323 said...

Saw your comment you left on my blog 6 months ago. How's your l420 going? Still alive? All 3 of my friends' 1420 have died.

stardust said...

xD what a big surprise.thanks for replying (*so touching one). it's been quite a while huh, i still didn't manage to get my thermal paste replaced.too chicken to do it myself, yet dont want to send it to pc repair shop ><.my 1420 just hit its 5th birthday this month (still using right now).one personal record for me :)

cnxc323 said...

Impressive. My 1520 is exactly 5 years old as well next month. And I'm proud to say that my laptop still feels faster than most new computers you get these days. (Overclocked, undervolted and all that but that's another story. :p

Anyway changing thermal paste is an easy 2 step process:
1. Remove all previous paste with 99.9% isopropanol and lint free cloth.
2. Apply teeny tiny dab of new thermal paste.

I do suggest you go head and replace it coz you've removed your heatsink before thus your thermal paste is now contaminated, and your laptop being 5 years old the thermal paste would most definitely have dried up.

stardust said...

Ahax, congrats to yourself too. amazing ne, my guy friends usually got their motherboards burnt from DOTA overclocking, so they always go for extended warranty back then.you must have taken really good care of yours :)

Mine...ehem..not exactly fast since the processor has it's limitation and softwares now are getting more demanding.At least, my 1420 is still going on decently despite having the thermal paste gone for like a few years. And I had never formatted it (up to now, i know the registry must have been crazy junk-loaded by now). Also, never sent it for any servicing, except for DIY ripping the heatsink out, since Dell is easy to take apart.

Thank you so much for the instructions btw xD It's very very kind of you. Is there anywhere else I should venture into other than the paste in the heatsink? Will you also kindly pin-point where can I find supplies for the above mentioned? (pls pardon me for being such a sucker at this :3)

cnxc323 said...

Well indeed I take care of my laptop well, but to be fair, the CPU, RAM, have all been maxed out, hard drive has been upgraded to a bigger capacity and stuff so I guess that's why mine's still going strong. Heh.

You haven't formatted it in 5 years. @_@ That's an amazing feat. Mine goes through a reformatting every coupla months just to keep things nice and dandy. Does that mean your actually running *gasp* Windows (horror of horrors) Vista?!

I deduce that you are Singaporean, in which case, you should be able to get said equipment from Sim Lim or equivalent place.

stardust said...

happy 5th birthday to your little 1520 :)
really happy to know someone who goes all the way in pc care :)

your horrors are confirmed.yes, it's still running on vista (i'm very cheapskate)...abit slow on start-up and things but already used to it. my battery still gives a good 90minutes+ of charge without the ac adapter. i guess it's partly give and take.

xDD thanks for the advice again. btw, your second guess is not quite correct :)

cnxc323 said...

Dang. Low YAT or digital mall then? :P

stardust said...

oh haiii! if you are seeing this message, how are you?? :))))

Post a Comment